Thursday, April 12, 2007

Lindy Roy Lecture



Tonight I went to the Lawrence J. Israel Lecture Series at FIT, which this year hosted Lindy Roy as the speaker. http://www.roydesign.com/
She talked about most of her projects and I was able to take away a lot of great insight both generally- regarding design process as well as specifically- regarding my thesis project.

She talked about her bar, Noah, which was the one Marc suggested I look into early in the semester. She studied the infrastructure of a meat locker and adapted it to the needs of the bar. Three things about this precedent interested me:
1. She hung all of the furniture from the existing grid that the meat carcasses used to hang from ("Hanging")
2. The grid allowed the individual patrons of the bar to move the furniture to different spots depending on the size of their group or their personal preferences. The furniture could also be moved up and down to accomodate standing/sitting/etc. This is an example of the individuals using the architecture to influence the circulation, use and atmosphere of the space.
3. She was influenced by the site.

Also, HaJung, she did a spa in Botswana (Okavango Delta Spa) that included a "crocodile-resistant lap pool" in which the people are in the cage and the crocs are free...Go to her site, then click on "Projects," "Buildings," "Okavango Delta Spa" and then click on the last image in the group to see what it looks like.

3 comments:

hyeryun said...

Are you really in there? I was there too. I was very early there and I left aroud 7pm.

Kate Nazzaro said...

I was sitting down front...good lecture,right?

eunyoung said...

next time..please take me to there.. :p