Friday, April 13, 2007

3



From the Employee


I am 48 years olds women who work in the gallery which is opened in Dumbo. I used work as a librarian 20 years in the same museum. I love my work especially in this place. I can say this gallery makes me feel that I come here for every day picnic. From the entrance, already I am not in the city. Sound of pebbles, the smell of flowers and grass and crispy morning sunlight greet me. By walking through the balcony stairs- I like this way instead of the elevator for employees- actually before to get the downstairs, I can reach the place from the smell of the coffee and the sound of music. I stop by thenorth corner locker room and then go to the employee’s lounge next to the locker room. Grab the a cup of coffee, I start to work. First of all, I go to the library where the corner of the west side is. Because of the its location, the people who use this library can take a deep sunlight until the evening. Every aisle has their own special section like a super market and the end of the each aisle has very comfortable sofa and chairs to read their book just next of the bamboo sunken garden. The other end of the aisle provides computer so that the people can check the all information. For the long stay visitors, the library provides big tables and chairs in the middle of the library. The table and chairs are made of deep brownish mahogany wood and all fabrics are beige and mint green. The sunlight and artificial lightings both are used in the library. Very intense lightings are use for the book shelves while the seating area is soft by defusing cove lightings. The visitor can read books in the café where is adjacent with the library. After check up the library, I go to the book store where is the middle of east side to say hello to Michelle who works in the book store. It is very different looking with the library while they both deal with books. Library has a big mahogany door which can blocked from noise while the book store has a low partitions with glass and about the ceiling, one is closed from the upstairs while the other on is opened to the air. In the middle
of the hole downstairs, there is a snack bar and café. Along the all side of wall there are many chairs which faced to the garden so that visitors can read eat and drink in the green. Actually, two side id blocked by wall. One is for the library the other one is for the children’s education center but the education center’s one is mane of Korean traditional papered lattice door so that I can see through but not clearly. That is why i don't think it is blocked. Sometimes the education center is used for the lecture by artist and others. This gallery has rooms for the artists who has their exhibition so that the art lover can get a information of the art works from the artist directly. In the upstairs there are offices. I haven’t been there yet but I heard every each floor has their own lounge and roof gardens. Entire floor is covered with bamboo wood except the library where covered with dark beige carpet. Soon this serene place will filled with the children laughing who come foe the art class which is provided from gallery for the community.

No comments: