Friday, April 13, 2007

2



From the Visitor

To tell the truth, I am not that crazy of the art. Yesterday, I visited my friend who lives in Dumbo. She suggested visiting the museum which is just opened. Anyway it was too early to go for the dinner. Simply to kill the time, I and my friend walked down the street. Right after turned the corner of block, the big brick building with frosty glass wall got my eyes. It looked like brick one break into the glass one or the glass one embrace the brick one. However from the structure, It was good enough attractive.

Along the wood side walk, I can feel the greetings from the gallery by the softness of wood, not like the asphalt or cement, and the grass and pebbles pathway already. It had a two entrance. First one is covered by the big glass wall which is opened to the air. It made me to feel I am in the garden and the sound of pebble path sing through each my step like
snow. Until I passed the main building and the reception areas, I felt I am in the out door by the warm pinkish sunlight and shadows of trees. It looked like they are dancing by sunlight and breeze. In the exhibition hall had lots of partition for the art works but those partitions have certain angle so that the sight was not blocked. I was able to assume that the other exhibition hall is there through the people’s long shadow by sun light. The ceiling was continuously voided and opened to the sky. Blocked ceilings were controlled by artificial lights while voided ceiling gave us sunlight. The curator said this gallery’s concept is the Stacking of a different culture and the Harmony of the human and the nature. To regard of the meaning of the culture, the Stacking, it makes sense. And the shape of buildings which are leaned to each other shows the relationship of the human and the nature. It cannot be separated, if is, both will be collapse right away. It makes me think about the Global
warming. Between two exhibition halls, there is a balcony so that people can see the other level. I looked down the basement from the hall; the smell of coffee tempted me. Surprisingly the basement was brighter than first floor. The downstairs was opened every side of floor by the sunken garden. It was very tempting to explore the downstairs. But we had to leave for the reservation of the restaurant. It was great unexpected pleasure. I and my friend talked on the way to the restaurant to come back for the downstairs which has a library, book store and the cafĂ©. Isn’t it better than kill the time in the coffee shop?

No comments: