Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Thought Process

In re-formulating my precis, I was thinking about the various components of my project: Program, Site, End User, etc. I am distilling the key elements of each of those into single words. I then assign each of those words a second word(s) (in quotes) that could influence how the architecture of the space will evolve. In doing this, I hope to find parallels and connections between the pieces of this project so that I can integrate them all into a concise solution.
Here's what I have so far:
Hotel
-regimented (large group of people) “dynamic”
-regimented (systematic order) “repetition”
-welcoming/service “responsive”
-staggered timelines “repetition” “overlap”
-modular “flexible” “economy”
-unfamiliar “instability”
-temporary “transformational” “dynamic”
Bar
-social/convivial “dynamic”
-escape “movement”
-welcoming/service “responsive”

Site/Highline

-Re-purposed “adaptive"
-Contrast to surroundings (speed, noise level, natural vs. artificial, etc.) “contrast” "movement=escape"
-Intersection “intersection” “void”
-"Elevated"
-"Layered" (vertically; voids and solids): Intersection of 10th Ave. & 14th St.=artificial, fast, loud:::::VOID:::::Highline=natural & artificial, slow, quiet:::::VOID:::::Building=artificial, static, quiet(?)
-"Layered" (horizontally; contrast to surroundings): Hudson River=nature, slow, quiet:::::W. Side Hwy.=artificial, fast, loud:::::Hudson River Park=nature, slow, quiet:::::10th Avenue=artificial, medium speed, loud::::::Highline=natural & artificial, slow, quiet
Transience
“individual”
“changeable”
“instability”
“movement”
Blind Date
-insecurity/unfamiliar “instability”
-meeting “intersection”

-individual "individual"
-social "dynamic"
Many of the words cross categories, which is a good thing...but I still want to continue to focus in on how exactly this is going to play out...will "individual" "changeable/flexible" rooms allow hotel guests to feel "movement" and control over their unfamiliar/regimented surroundings? Could hanging pods bring "dynamic" "instability" to the space and "intersect"or "overlap" with what's going on outside on the Highline? Could the bar "respond," "intersect," or"overlap" with systematic activities that are happening in the hotel lobby/hotel rooms and vice versa?
I have a lot of thoughts swirling in my head based on the recurrance and parallels of these words and situations...
Marc, if you have any thoughts or response to this as to whether I am moving in the right direction, any additional ideas, or help with how to bring some clarity to this, I'd appreciate it!!
Thanks,
Kate

4 comments:

im. said...

Kate,

There are a lot of ideas there in your wordplay, and my take is that you need to find/develop a mechanism that can logically organize these concepts into architectural form. What if you chose an architectural element that could explore these concepts (say, walls) and use it as a device to bring these concepts into physical form? You begin to set rules for yourself... that each wall must negotiate a certain overlap in program or personify a certain verb/action... and take it from there.

I don't know much about your project or your process, but as a fundamental rule, the more restrictions/parameters we impose upon our work, the more invention can occur.

Kate Nazzaro said...

Thanks, im.
I think that you are right about setting up some rules to follow.
As I looked at the words I chose, I realized that many of them have similar meanings, and so I could narrow them down to transience, repetition (or overlap/layer), and transformation. I also like the idea of contrast and intersection so I have those two in the back of my head too. I am now thinking about how moving elements, such as doors,windows,and elevators could move in an unconventional way to potentially serve more than one purpose or create more than one type of space.
A second thought is that the void that is created beneath the 5th floor of the building and the High Line allows an opportunity to engage my program in a conversation with the High Line. Perhaps by cantilevered hotel rooms or somehow hanging hotel rooms or bar in that area...
The last thing is a cause & effect rule. For example, entering a hotel room changes the facade of the building, or checking in causes something to happen in the bar...

im. said...

Kate- Good that you are thinking about your hotel as a living, breathing organism. I think the idea of the moving elements finding an unconventional rhythm is good, and the ideas of transformation/overlap can happen in the finer grains of the project-- the actual interface between the inhabitant and the architecture (the doorknob, the handrail) or even at a larger temporal scale (seasonal shifts, transformation over a period of time).

The cause and effect idea is a difficult one, because I believe there needs to be a compelling relationship between the act and its reaction... find it.

Find a tool that allows you to explore these ideas with your hands... make something.

Kate Nazzaro said...

I am going to make a diagram and a model to explore these things-I think they have a lot of potential.

Thanks for all of the feedback...very helpful.