Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sustainable winery.......


Hey all,
I know time is pressing to not still be working this sort of thing out, but I'm starting to get on a roll and just wanted to know what your thoughts are before I go too far...

I have been talking to more people and exploring my pre-sis as well as the meatpacking district some more and I am changing buildings. As interesting as the building I found was (the one with the bridge to the Chelsea market), the only reasons I have had for my project so far were related to the trendy tenants of the neighborhood, and the relation to the market and restaurants nearby. Because I hadn't been looking beyond this until this point, I was relatively uninspired and wasn't convinced about my own ideas for the project, and was afraid it was a little 'empty'.

But my train of thoughts are bringing me to a point where I am developing a more meaningful project. So, I have decided to explore the potential for creating an experience that takes the city back to it's agrarian roots (thanks for some of those related ideas, Lindsey and Guinevere!). I wanted it to be a place that not only ties the industrial to the agricultural, but more importantly nature to man via architecture. But to do this in a meaningful way, I want the place to have a positive impact on the neighborhood and on the city, so it can be a place where people not only experience the process of wine-making--an experience not typically found in an urban environment--but also where people young and old, can be educated about sustainability, agriculture, and New York as it used to be when it was divided into farmland and not densely packed with urban architecture...

I would like to try and develop a LEED gold, or even platinum building, that it would be placed on the high line, in a building where ties to nature via the views to the river as well as the new high-line park become more than a scenic backdrop for the restaurant/bar, but also an interactive experience with what's left of nature in the city. Adaptive re-use of a historical building, green roofs, and a potential for actually growing vines---either in a plot in the new park, or on the roofs, are also other ideas. And sustainable materials again would bring that connection between nature-architecture-man. And although I wouldn't literally place a whole vineyard on the high-line, growing some vines at the site would allow me to demonstrate the process from beginning to end, further enhancing the winery experience. sorry for any run-on sentences/ thoughts--it's just what happens to be flowing from my brain at the moment.......

What do you all think? any thoughts?
Also, anyone want to recommend a specific building? I have some in mind for tomorrow already but that is of course able to change....

No comments: