Tuesday, March 25, 2008

my drawings for friday

so I've been thinking and trying to decide what drawings I want to do.  I'm almost positive I've decided to go with the site just outside of SoHo with the large empty corner lot and the building is also on a corner.  I think it allows for a larger area and more visibility to the neighborhood and hopefully more impact.  So one drawing will be a more complete analysis of that building and adjacent lot.  Because of my program, my site has contextual parameters I think I should diagram... the relationship of the building to the lot, to the sidewalk and streets, to the neighborhood as a whole.  I am not quite sure how I would or should diagram these relationships.  I have been looking at some books, one being one of Paul Rudolph's works, with diagrams in it to get a better idea of what a good diagram includes or shows.  Any other suggestions on where to find good examples would be helpful, I am not the most experienced diagrammer.
In terms of a second drawin
g, I have no idea what I should do.  Should I do another drawing pertaining to my site/building.  Or could it be a drawing of some sort of precedent I have been looking at??  I was in Philadelphia briefly on Friday, detour on the way to DC just to get a Philly Cheesesteak from the Reading Terminal Market, and I loved the market!  It was horribly ugly but the concept behind it I thought was great.  It's been around since 1893 and is 78,000 sf with 800 vendors.  I loved how it combines so many types of markets into one, with vendors selling baked goods, produce, meats, seafood, jewelry, crafts, and restaurant vendors all in one indoor public space.  I'll attach a picture of the plan would I could produce a drawing to understand the circulation and use of space within the market. 



















Also Marc, you told me to look up Rachel White, but I am having a hard time finding information on her, tons of Rachel White's in the world.  Is there something more specific I could use to search for her?  Or the name of a gallery she's displayed at?

And any other advice or direction you think I should go or work on after looking over my book would be helpful.  I'm a little hazy on where to go with performative techniques and if concentrating so much on perception of materials is exactly where I want to stay with my investigation or if I need to look at other techniques I am interested in as well.  

Thanks!

No comments: