Wednesday, February 20, 2008

concept and site development

In the very beginning I was thinking of creating a hybrid space containing two or more elements. I was always thinking it would be based on fashion - either a label or recently i was thinking of creating a department store concept space to compete with the boutique stores in Soho as Soho has developed into an outside high end shopping mall- to help sell the brand image and attract a wider clientèle i am thinking of combining it with a boutique hotel and or small bar/cafe.
I have been reading into fragmentation, void, reconstruction, and deconstruction; as how they relate to our environment, architecture and fashion. I am looking back on what I was examining in my storyboards to help guide my development. (Transparency and blurring of boundaries, the sense of place no longer being a stable experience, the relationship between the outside and interior environment). I have also been reading “the fashion of Architecture” which has helped me pull together my thoughts.
Inspired by Elizabeth Dillers entry to the Brasserie-Restaurant in the Seagram Building, I want to bring the spectacle of a fashion runway to my space, to force the general public to be on view to the retailers/consumers surrounding them. Creating a fragmented space which questions perceptions would work well with the thoughts I have had all along.
I would be creating a stark contrast; emphasizing what is usually on the streets to become the “film” or “show” inside the retail/boutique hotel/cafĂ© . As the New York sidewalks are naturally like a constant fashion show my design concept will highlight this as the public space (open to the streets) pierces through the building.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon checking out potential spaces in the city. Based on my concept i am focusing on a site in Soho.. I think that the Boffi store has potential with its large vast windows, high ceilings and its position on the corner.

I will continue trying to develop my ideas. Please let me know if you think I am on the right track and any readings, sites, etc I should look at.

No comments: