Thursday, February 21, 2008

help me please!

ok so i am having quite a bit of trouble.  the more I get into research the most lost I become.  I know I want to design a public place that is a living room of somekind.  I feel like I'm more interested in an urban design project than an interiors.  I am not sure how to translate this into an interior project.  Anyway... I'll continue digging and soul searching.

As for a sight, could anyone suggest an old building with an adjacent empty lot or open exterior space?  I'm looking into buildings in parks, but I was hoping to create more of a pocket park feeling:  a surprise as you walk down the street and you look into this beautiful lively space.  As I don't know the city all that well does anyone have any suggestions?  Preferably a busy area with people going to work, children going to school, kids hanging around after school, workers needing a place to relax during their lunch hour... etc.  

I'd appreciate any help... I am feeling quite discouraged and lost at the moment.

5 comments:

marc said...

are you able to access the lms database?
what about the existing shell in the dumbo waterfront park?
do you know it?

marc said...

you will get there...dont panic...
have you been walking around the city?

marc said...

dosent seem like the lms site has files yet...i will look into

kimilliken said...

I was near the Brooklyn Public Library today at Grand Plaza(?) there is a beautiful park there...maybe there is a building in the area you should explore...I sent you emails of a couple of other places in Queens (scary!)

Tiffany said...

are you interested in spaces in Manhattan or brooklyn, queens, etc?
if you just walk around the city it is not uncommon to find empty lots or lots currently used for parking that you could transform.

If you are looking for places with lots of workers and open exterior open spaces you can look downtown in the financial district or midtown.
schools are scattered about the city but keep in mind that the places where workers take a break is usually not the same as where kids hangout.. at least i have never seen any.
anyway, i think the best thing for you to do is spend an entire day exploring different areas of the city.. preferably during the week when people are working and kids are in school.