Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Andee's Ideas...I'm also there!

I have been doing a lot more reading and research and I am particularly interested in fashion as a performance. Specifically what is says about us culturally and as individuals. Additionally I am intrigued by the ideology of the bauhaus in reference to fashion (in particular mens) and their disregard for womens couture and dress. That said I plan on exploring the ideas of modernism, as influenced by modern womens fashion. Since fashion is so gender ambiguous in todays societies how can this influence modernism and how do the old ideas of modernism, born in the bauhaus influence todays sexless fashions? As stated before, fashion is a performance, that said I would like to now consider a program that is also a performance space specifically created for all that is fashion. As we all know the tents at Bryant Park are a less than ideal event space for what is, an ever growing fashion week. As interesting of a subculture as the fashion world is, specifically in New York, they are largely without a home. Programmatically I would like to make a space that blends gallery, runway, event space, and possible bar and or retail. 
I am thinking a bit of the chelsea art scene mixed with the chic vibe or meatpacking meets soho shopping. 
I plan on examining modernism in context of its original male fashion influences, studying the cross influences of architecture and fashion since the birth of modernism, specifically the influence the movement has had in todays gender neutral fashions, as well as reinterpreting modernism from a more gender neutral fashion influence.  In metaphor...The bluejean of modern architecture and design.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love it Andee! I think that will make for a great thesis. I'll be interested in seeing where you want to put this place and who your client would be. It's amazing how far everyone's ideas have come and how they have evolved this semester. I wish I had mine more resolved but it's getting there!

Tiffany said...

hey andee
you might want to look into what they are doing in Milan... i am pretty sure they are creating a Fashion complex for everything fashion especially during fashion week. I will see if I can find something for you