Sunday, January 28, 2007

Blind Dates & Menus

I am going to diagram the qualitative aspects of the menu/restaurant scenario. I was thinking about the thought process and ritual of ordering food off of a menu, and also thinking about the social ritual of blind dates (as Marc suggested).
When ordering dishes off of a menu, a person takes into account three main factors:
1. Courses (ie: ordering one from each, appetizer, entree, and dessert- as opposed to ordering 3 desserts. I have been known to order only dessert when out to dinner at a casual restaurant with my family or my best friends. But would never do so if out to lunch with my boss. This is a matter of social etiquette)
2. Price (I would not order the most expensive item if my friends parents took me out to dinner, but I would consider the most expensive item if my parents took me out to dinner, or if it were a special occasion. This thought process is also dictated by social etiquette)
3. Food Type (I ignore any fish and pork dishes on the menu because I don't eat those types of food. Some people choose food type based on what they had for dinner the night prior, or what they're "in the mood" for).
When on a blind date, there is an additional level of assesment- you are judging and being judged by your date. Physical presentation, conversation, body language, etc. is being closely studied by your date, and vice versa. Since everything about you is brand new, even the smallest things will not go unnoticed. This creates a huge amount of anxiety and pressure to be perfect. This pressure is exaggerated or relieved based on your own assesment of your date. If you like them, you will become more nervous and if you don't, you can relax somewhat.
Does anyone have suggestions on whether I should try to reconcile assessing a menu with assessing a date? Or if I should just choose one or the other to diagram? Any other thoughts on blind dates and menus? :)
Thanks, Kate

3 comments:

marc said...

if you are still leaning towards the restaurant/ bar/ hotel program...it would to be good to diagram a stituation...such as a blind date...but maybe that is not appropriate to tie the pieces together...i guess it depends on the nature of the date...what are the qualities you are after? you should visit the henry hudson hotel/bar if you have never been...
but dont assume you are doing a corporate lobby...or 'themed' space...

marc said...

these are all great observations you are making...

Kate Nazzaro said...

I have been to the Hudson Hotel designed by Philip Starck in Midtown. I like how everywhere you look there is something different- entertainment for the senses- especially visually. The parts he uses to create the whole seemingly have nothing to do with one another (which is why it is so fun to look at), but they come together well. His concept is to juxtapose traditional with modern and play with scale. It works. It would be interesting to know the intricacies of his thought process.