Sunday, January 20, 2008

What is wayfinding?

Wayfinding encompasses all of the ways in which people and animals orient themselves in physical space and navigate from place to place.
Wayfinding is often used to refer to traditional navigation methods used by indigenous peoples.In more modern times, wayfinding is used in the context of architecture to refer to the user experience of orientation and choosing a path within the built environment, and it also refers to the set of architectural and/or design elements that aid orientation.
“a consistent use and organization of definite sensory cues from the external environment”- Kevin Lynch, Image of the City

This concept has since been expanded to include signage and other graphic communication.

I plan on examining:
"clues inherent in the building's spatial grammar, logical space planning, audible communication, tactile elements, and provision for special-needs users." (Romedi Passini)

Basically the way that graphics, architecture and inherent qualities of a space influence the ease with which the user experiences the space.
With the advent of the intelligent consumer and idea of "emotional branding" "Wayfinding" has become increasingly important in the world of retail design.

I think there are several venues in which I can study this idea, namely

Moma (for its incorporation of retail element, dining, and exhibition space)
The Whitney (for the same reasons)
Henri Bendel
Bergdorfs
Takashimaya
Barneys
to name a few

However I feel these are very large undertakings for a week long analysis and study, so as I mentioned in class I am going to start with Bloomingdales Soho (unless you feel that I would be better off with something else). I feel that it's scale will allow me to most easily study it's quantitative and qualitative success. The multi floor nature of the space makes wayfinding a particularly important element in the design.

2 comments:

marc said...

good...do it...

kimilliken said...

Andee--I always have a problem finding my way out of Bloomies from the 2nd level. I have only been a handfull of times...just so you have the perspective from someone who doesnt know the space well...